We did receive some very good suggestions.
1. Mandate that all MCSO vehicles be installed with GPS Trackers. Starting with the vehicles that the sheriff drives. A possible savings of thousand of dollars per year. Dollars the the County Commission does not have to give to the sheriff'S OFFICE because of financial shortfalls within the MCSO budget.
2. Purchase kevlar vests for the deputies. Especially those deputies who are APOST certified and should be the only deputies running calls. The sheriff made it clear that the MCSO did not get the budget to purchase the vests.
3. Cut out the posse purchases from anything other than the posse non-profit organization's fund. Cut travel to a minimum. Go to work and manage the MCSO resources. After all, that is why the citizens voted you into office. Find the money Sheriff.
4. We understand that both Zivet and Goodwin will be attending the 2 Week refresher course. How can that be?
5. Copy and paste into your browser: http://www.apostc.state.al.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=bLMWVrtrC3g=
Chapter 650-X-2 Certification and Training Section
** NOTICE OF CHANGES TO THE A.P.O.S.T.C. LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING CURRICULUM **
On June 19, 2013 the Alabama Peace Officers' Standards and Training Commission officially adopted changes to the law enforcement training curriculum. The Basic Training Curriculum has increased from 480 to 520 hours and the Lateral Entry Equivalency / Law Enforcement Officer Refresher Course has increased from 80 to 95 hours.
THESE CHANGES WILL BECOME EFFECTIVE
JANUARY 01, 2014
6. Purchase new dash cams instead of talking about it. The MCSO, Sheriff Ana Franklin bought 17,000 + dollar worth of dash cams that did not work properly from day one. The dash cams were bought from either the country of Japan or China. From what we understand the dash cams did not last a year. Were these Dash cams purchased under the competitive bid process? How much research went into the purchase of dash cams prior to purchase? Why were the vests not bought with the Logo of MADE IN THE USA?
WE COULD SPEND DAY AFTER DAY DISCUSSING THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE 21 SEPARATE ACCOUNTS AND THE DISCRETIONARY ACCOUNT AND THE INCONSISTENCIES. WE CAN'T HELP BUT WONDER IF ANYBODY CARES.